Replacing 5-Way Trailer Harness That Has 7 Wires
Replacing a 5 pin wire harness and noticed the old one has 2 browns and 2 whites with 7 wires total and the new one has only 5 wires.What do I do with the extra wires just connect them together?
asked by: Anthony L
When a 4-Way or 5-Way pin wiring harness for a trailer has more wires than pins, like the Optronics # A40W5B, it just means that the manufacturer is trying to make it easier on the installer. In your case it sounds like your trailer has 2 ground wires and 2 running light wires that run down either side of the trailer. If this is the case then all you have to do is splice the browns together and the whites together with your new harness and everything should work great!
I have attached a link to a helpful article on installing a 5-Way trailer harness that you can check out as well.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Replacement 5-Way Trailer Wiring for Boat Trailer
- How To Re-Wire Your Boat Trailer's 5 Way Wiring And Install New LED Lights
- 8 Wire Boat Trailer Wiring to 5-Way Plug on Truck
- What are the Functions of a 4-Way Flat Trailer Wiring Connector with 5 Wires
- Wire Gauge Size of the 40 Ft 5-Way Trailer Wiring Harness A40W5B
- What is Thickest Gauge 5-Way Trailer Wiring Harness
- Parts Needed To Rewire Trailer Using 5-Way for Reverse Circuit
- Replacing 5-Way on Trailer that Used 8 Wires
- Where Does Blue Wire of Trailer Wiring 5-Way Normally Run to on Trailer
- Determining Wiring Functions On Trailer To Install New 4-way Connector
- Adding a 7-Way Trailer Connector to a 28 Foot Trailer with Electric Brakes
- 4-Way Trailer Wiring Recommendation for a Utility Trailer
- Wiring a 5 Flat That Has 8 Wires
- Need Wiring and 5 Way Connector for 26 FT Boat Trailer with Surge Brakes
- Replacement Trailer Wiring Harness For a Boat Trailer Using a 5-Way Flat Connector
- Wiring Needed to Connect Surge Brake Reverse Lockout to Trailer Wiring
- Recommended Trailer WIring for 4-Way Flat, 5-Way Flat, 6-Way Round, and 7-Way
- Replacement Trailer Side Wiring Harness for a 1996 Yacht Club PWC Trailer
- Trailer Wiring Connector for Triton 8x10 Aluminum Snowmobile Trailer
- Available 5-Flat Wishbone-Type Trailer Connectors
- Recommended 5-way Connector To Replace Damaged 5-way Connector With Two White Wires
- Recommended Trailer Wiring to Add Reverse Lights to Boat Trailer
- What Length Wiring Harness Is Needed For a Boat Trailer Measuring 22-1/2' From Tail Light To Tongue?
- What are the Functions of a 5-Way Flat Trailer Connector with 6 Wires
- Wishbone Trailer Wiring Harness for a Magic Tilt Boat Trailer
- What are the Functions of a 5-Way Flat Trailer Connector with 8 Wires
- Availability of Wiring Harnesses/Wiring Kits For a Trailer
- Wiring 5-Flat Connectors on Jeep and Trailer