bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Connecting a US Trailer to a European Truck 7-Way


Hello, Is there an adapter available to convert a 7 way US plug to a European 7 way? Something like this but the opposite? Connections on the Euro truck are 2x7 POL 24n+24s UADR Euro community style Thanks for any help you can give!


Expert Reply:

If the tail lights are combined as well as the turn/stop functions then we have the Trailer Connector Adapter # 118710 you can use by cutting off the 4-Way and connecting those wires to a 7-Way like part # HM48480 so that you can plug in a 7-Way trailer connector.

If the 7-Way European connector on the tow vehicle is wired like a true European connector (with all of those functions separated out) then you should be able to install the Hopkins Converter # HM48847 to combine the stop and turn signals on the truck side of things so that you get the basic lighting functions for your trailer.

Please note that most trailers that have a 7-Way plug have brakes or need 12V power for something on the trailer itself. If that's what you're dealing with then it would be easier to just wire in a US 7-Way with the Universal Wiring Kit # ETBC7 instead of trying to tie in a bunch of functions to that European style 7-Way.

expert reply by:
Jon G

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>