bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Convert Boat Trailer from Surge Disc Brakes to Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes  


I want to convert my boat trailer to electric over hydraulic, The trailer is a trailstar custom for a Tahoe Q4sf boat it is currently has surge disc brakes. With this being disc already, if I am understanding this correctly, then I will just need a electric over hydraulic actuator, appropriate wiring and either weld or bolt the surge coupler? Tow vehicle is a 2010 Dodge Ramnot sure if it has brake controller connector under dash or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,


Expert Reply:

What you really only will need is an actuator kit like the HydraStar part # HS381-9067 which comes with the actuator you need and all of the electronics needed to install the kit. You'd just connect the line that runs to your current surge actuator to the back of the Hydrastar and it would tie right in to the system you have now. You can then lock out your surge actuator by welding the two moving sections together or running a bolt through both pieces.

Your 2010 Dodge Ram would not have a brake controller installed in it so you would need to also install one compatible with this type of trailer brakes as well like the P3 part # 90195. To then install it in your truck all you need is the # 3021-P and you'd be set.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>