bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can I Use the Thule T2 Pro XTR on the Back of a Travel Trailer


My daughter has a 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite TT. I was looking for her because she needs a rear bumper4X4 bolt on hitch receiver for her T2 rack. I noticed while looking at racks some say RV approved. Can you tell me what that means? They have a Gennygo generator rack on the rear bumper now and have reinforced it with their safety strut/bumper brackets. They would have to take the spare of and put in the truck bed Im sure but I dont think they mind that. Thanks


Helpful Expert Reply:

Generally speaking, only bike racks that have a solid steel shank are rated for use on the back of a travel trailers, 5th wheels and flat towed vehicles because of the extra movement that is going to occur at the back of these vehicles. It isn't so much the connection to the bumper that is in question, it's just the excessive up and down/side to side movement that occurs at the rears of these types of towed trailers/vehicles that creates added stress on the shank of a bike rack. The Thule T2 Pro XTR # TH69TX is not rated for use on the back of travel trailers, 5th wheels or flat towed vehicles, so they would need a bike rack that is rated for this use.

To add a trailer hitch to the rear of the trailer I recommend using the Stromberg Carlson 2" Motor Home Hitch Receiver for RV Bumpers - 200 lbs # BA-100, which is designed to fit on the 4" x 4" bumper on the 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite TT. For a bike rack, the Swagman Original # S64400 is a great rack that won't break the bank. If they have any bikes with aggressive step through frames, they may require a bike adapter bar like the Swagman # 64005, but this rack is designed to withstand the movement that occurs at the rear of a travel trailer and would be a good choice.

I've linked some review videos of these parts for you to have a look at, as well.

helpful expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>