Lightweight Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2020 Volvo XC90
Hi, Im looking for a cargo carrier for my 2020 Volvo XC90. The instruction manual has three specifications. First, the maximum load is 130 lbs for a cargo carrier or bike carrier. I called Volvo USA to confirm. Which means that I am leaning towards an aluminum carrier. Second, the manual has a center of gravity diagram. Im not sure how that is supposed to work. I assume the point is that the carrier should be as close as possible. Third, there is a maximum of 2.5 inches from the back of the hitch to the pin hole. From the pin hole to the opening of the hitch is 1.5 inches. Thanks - I appreciate your help. From what I research last night it looks like there are two good options - the Curt 60x19 and the Curt 22.5x49. Regards,
asked by: Brad M
Thank you for all of the information! I think that you are correct about the center of gravity because I haven't seen that kind of wording or formula used. It might be good to reach back out to your Volvo dealer just to make sure you use everything appropriately for your 2020 Volvo XC90.
Between the 60x19 Curt Cargo Carrier # C18100 and the 20x47 Curt Cargo Carrier # C18113, you could really go with either one. The # C18100 is a little larger, weighs 29 pounds, has a mesh floor and is only 2-3/4" deep. The # C18113 is a little smaller, weighs 25 pounds, has a slatted floor, and has a little taller side rail at 3-3/4 inches tall.
The most significant differences are the mesh floor vs slatted floor and the slight difference in rail height. It would really depend on what you will be carrying to determine if this would be important or not. They also have different looks which would come down to your personal preference.
Attached are review videos for both that you can check out.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Cargo Carrier
- Flat Carrier
- Fixed Carrier
- 22-1/2 Inch Wide
- Heavy Duty
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 49 Inch Long
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: What is the Best Hitch for a 2024 Subaru Outback?
- Q&A: What Trailer Hitch Will Fit The 2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid
- Article: Trailer Tire Sizing
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: Cargo Carrier That Allows Back Door to Open on 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
- Q&A: Can Slider Bas Swap Out for Fixed Base for 2023 GMC Sierra 3500 Towing 2023 Grand Design Solitude
- Q&A: Aluminum vs. Steel Cargo Carrier are there Any Disadvantages for Aluminum Construction
- Q&A: Does Flint Hill Goods Hitch Cargo Carrier part # FHG49ZR Really Only Weigh 18 Lbs
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch And Ground Clearance For 2024 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Article: Rust Prevention
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Article: Best Vehicles to Flat Tow Behind an RV