Best Way To Haul Electric Bikes On My 2016 Subaru Outback Wagon
I am thinking of purchasing the Saris Bones 2 for my Blix electric bike, Sol model with a 17 inch leg rise. It weighs about 40 lbs. My other bike weighs 35 lbs. can you tell me if I can use this on my 2016 Subaru Outback? What additional accessories would I have to purchase to be able to securely carry the bikes? Thanks In advance for your prompt response.
asked by: Geri
We can find a way to get your electric bikes to and from your riding spot but there is no trunk option that is safe to use with an electric bike that heavy. All trunk mounted racks will have a weight capacity of no more than 35 lbs so that will not work for your electric bike. We could get you a hitch like the Curt Trailer Hitch # C13206 and then you can get the Swagman Current # S64678. This set up will be perfect for electric bikes!
I've included some videos for you to check out! If you would rather go with a roof rack set up, let me know and we can re-evaluate the situation but the hitch option is the more cost effective one.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class III
- 600 lbs TW
- 4000 lbs GTW
- 2 Inch Hitch
- Visible Cross Tube
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Q&A: Can a 2019 Chevrolet Spark Carry 2 E-Bikes Using a Hitch Mounted Bike Rack?
- Q&A: Difference Between Swagman E-Bike Racks Current and E-Spec
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Motor Home or RV
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Fat Bikes
- Q&A: E-Bike Rack Recommendation for Lectric XP Step Thru Bike at Rear of RV
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Q&A: Best Bike Rack for E-Bikes with Fenders Step Through Frame and 1-1/4 inch Hitch
- Q&A: Recommended Bike Rack For Carrying Two 65LB E-Bikes Behind a Truck and Travel Trailer
- Q&A: Availability of a 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver For a 2020 Honda Fit
- Article: How to Carry Bikes While Towing a Travel Trailer