Best Bike Rack For Two Electric Bikes Weighing 48 lbs
I have two identical bikes. They are electric assist bikes weighing 48 lbs. They have a step-through frame design. Refer to https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/electra-bikes/electra-e-bikes/townie-go/townie-go-7d-step-thru/p/28125/?colorCode=green The bikes are Towne style. I have an SUV and I am installing a 2 inch hitch. I need recommendation for a bike rack. Will I need a bar to go between the seat and handle bars. If so, the one I see on your site is not rated for the weight of the bike.
asked by: Thomas P
The bike rack you need is the Swagman Current # S64678. It will fit in your 2" hitch, can hold up to 60lbs per bike, will work well with your 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe because of it's tilting feature. You will be able to tilt the rack away even with your Towne Style Electric Bike.
You will need an adapter bar since it is an odd style frame. Grab two of the Swagman Adapter Bar # 64005 for both of your bikes as long as they are under 35 lbs. The adapter bar has a capacity of 35 lbs but this has no affect on the capacity of the bike rack.
I've included a video of me personally using the Swagman Current if you wanted to get a closer look!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Trunk Bike Racks
- Adapter Bar
- 24-3/8 - 33-3/4 Inch Long
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Q&A: Can a 2019 Chevrolet Spark Carry 2 E-Bikes Using a Hitch Mounted Bike Rack?
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Motor Home or RV
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Fat Bikes
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Q&A: Best Bike Rack for E-Bikes with Fenders Step Through Frame and 1-1/4 inch Hitch
- Q&A: Availability of a 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver For a 2020 Honda Fit
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between Class 1 and Class 2 Hitches for the Scion XB
- Q&A: Is a 2 Inch Hitch Available for a 2010 Toyota Prius?
- Q&A: Best Cost-Effective Hitch Mount Bike Rack for Heavy E-Bikes with Front Fenders
- Article: How to Carry Bikes While Towing a Travel Trailer