Troubleshooting Brake Controller not Working Except With Manual Override
2015 gmc with brakerite sd and controller it wont activate brakes by pushing pedal but will with slider in truck. its a disk system .
asked by: Ron
I'm not sure which brake controller you purchased from us that you're referring to, though when a controller won't work except when using the manual override the issue is often on the red wire - the stop light wire - which sends a signal to the brake controller. You'll need to use circuit tester # PTW2979 to test the stop light switch wire, which is the wire that only gets power when you step on the brake pedal.
If it does not have power then you likely have a blown fuse that you'll need to find, and to do so check your owner's manual to find the appropriate one.
I have added links to some help articles for you to check out as well on troubleshooting brake controllers that I recommend reading.
- Shop: Pollak Black Plastic, 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Trailer End
- Shop: Cordless Circuit Tester
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Brake Controller with OL Code when Brakes are Applied
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Brake Controller not Working on 2006 GMC Sierra
- Q&A: Trailer Lights Work But Brakes are Not Working
- Q&A: Trailer Brakes Lock Up When Connected to Truck
- Q&A: Testing for Proper Voltage on the Brake Output Circuit
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Testing Trailer Brake Magnets for Proper Function
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: How Much Voltage Should Be Applied To Brakes on Trailer w/ Electric Brake Controller
- Article: Troubleshooting Brake Controller Installations
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Voltage Drop to Trailer Brake Assemblies
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch