Trailer Wiring Harness Recommendation and Functions for a 1993 Ford Ranger
ON THE TRUCK WE HAVE A GREEN AND RED STRIPE,FOR LEFT SIGNAL.AND THE YELLOW AND GREEN IS FOR RIGHT SIGNAL.NOW THERES A GREEN WIRE AND A YELLOW WIRE, ONE IS FOR BRAKES THE OTHER ONE IS PARKING LIGHTS,NOW ON THE TRAILER I HAVE 5 WIRES,YELLOW TO RIGHT GREEN FOR LEFT.WHITE GROUND,AND TWO BROWN WIRES,NOW ON THE TRAILER LIGHTS THERES OUR TWO BROWNS WIRES GOING TO THE PLUG,WHICH IS GOING TO THE 4 WIRE PLUG WITH ONLY 1 BROWN,1 YELLOW 1GREEN1 WHITE.ON THE TRUCK I HAVE TO SPRICE GREEN AND YELLOW TO GET BRAKE LIGHTS AND PARKING LIGHTS THANKS
asked by: DAVE
On a vehicle that has turn signals that are separate from the brake lights, a converter, # 118325 in this case, is required. The converter takes the separate signals on the vehicle and combines them to turn/brake lights on the same circuit which is what trailers use.
Your trailer has what is called a wishbone harness. Normally, yellow is the driver side and green is the passenger side. When there is 2 brown wires this means that the running light signal is split at the connector so you do not have to run a jumper from one side to the other.
On a 4-Way connector on the trailer side, the covered pin is the ground. Next to it is the running light pin, followed by the left turn/brake light pin, and last is the right turn/brake light pin. Just make sure that the functions on the trailer side 4-Way match the functions and pin position on the vehicle 4-Way.
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Does Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 13091 Require Drilling to Install on 2001 Ford Ranger
- Q&A: How to Install a 4-Way Trailer Connector on a 1994 Ford Ranger Truck
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver for 2004 Ford Ranger Edge
- Q&A: Distance from Mounting Surface to Bottom of Draw Tite Hitch part # 75082
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Best Boat Accessories
- Q&A: How to Wire a Towed Vehicle With Seperate Turn and Brake Cicuits on Towing Vehicle
- Q&A: How To Install 7-way Connector On 2010 Chevy Express Van 3500 Without Factory 7-way Connector Plug
- Q&A: Connecting Brake Controller Wiring on 2019 Chevy Express Van 3500
- Article: Breakaway Kit Installation for Single and Dual Brake Axle Trailers
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Article: Troubleshooting 4 and 5-Way Wiring Installations
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Stability Control for Heavy Duty Vehicles