bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Diode Wiring Solutions for a Flat Towing a 1991 Suzuki Samarai


Hi. I have a flat four connector on my camper. I am interested to get the right kit for a 1991 Samurai. I would like to use the integrated lighting setup and eliminate magnetic lights. Questions: Looks like I can use one of two kits if I want to have the brake lights do the turn signals: TR118821 by Tow Ready or the RM-154 by road Master. The other alternative is to use the turn signal light with the 154-792-118158 RoadMaster 6 diode kits. Overall Id prefer to use the 6 Diode kit. Are there any big complications using the 6 diode system? Also I noted the RM-690 Diode. Is that something I would need with these systems? Where does this diode go in the system? I would want protection from turning on the headlights while cnnected to the RV. The Suzuki requires its ignition on ACC while towing to avoid locking the steering wheel so it is entirely possible Id make a mistake.


Expert Reply:

From the research I did it looks like you have a separate tail light circuit. Which means your turn signals and brake lights are carried on separate circuits. The easiest way to install diodes on your setup would be to use 4 diodes and have it so that the tail lights of your 1991 Suzuki Samarai will operate as a combined circuit, so basically your current brake lights will perform the turn signal and brake light functions.

Check out the picture I attached that shows how the 4 diodes of the Roadmaster Universal Hy-Power Diode Wiring Kit # RM-154 will install. I also attached an FAQ article on how to this also.

To use a 6 diode kit you will also need a converter box like what comes with the Roadmaster 6-Diode Universal Wiring Kit # 154-792-118158. This is definitely a viable option for you, but due to the increased price and more complicated installation it would not be my first choice. The FAQ article I attached also has installation instructions for this setup as well. I attached a wiring diagram for this setup also.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>