How to Remove Thule TH963PRO Spare Me 2 Spare Tire Mounted Bike Rack
Hi! I am trying to remove the Thule spare me 2 and the lock just spins and spins. I have turned the key as far as it will go but everything I’ve read says this means it’s still locked. Please help
asked by: Alexandra T
The fact that the locking knob continues to spin without engaging would indicate that the lock has not unlocked. Thule recommends working the key back and forth at the same time you're turning the knob. What can also be helpful in freeing the lock tumblers is to insert the key, then give the end of the key a rap with a rubber or wooden mallet. You don't want to go super-medieval on it, or use a metal hammer as it could damage the lock but you'll want to deliver enough of a shock that the tiny springs for the lock tumblers free up.
Thule says that once the lock gets freed up, that they don't recommend leaving the rack on the vehicle. The rack should be removed when it's not being used in order to limit exposure to the elements.
- Q&A: Wiring Diagram and Fuse Location for the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 4-Point Leveling System
- Q&A: Replacement # 753-3532 Adapter Plate to Fit Old Thule Spare Me Bike Rack on 2011 Toyota RAV4
- Q&A: Replacement Lockable Knob for Thule Spare Me Spare Tire Bike Rack
- Q&A: Replacement Thule Spare Me Mounting Plate
- Q&A: Will Thule Replacement Mounting Plate # 753-3532 Fit an Older Thule Spare Tire Bike Rack
- Q&A: How Do I Mount The Thule Spare Me 2 Bike Rack If I Have A Larger Size Spare Tire
- Q&A: Should Trailer Wiring Be Installed with Trailer Hitch or Can it Wait til Later
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack