Are Safety Chains Needed With B&W 5th Wheel Rails for 2004 Dodge Ram 2500
After installing the 5th wheel rails on this BandW kit BWRVK2600. Where would I connect safety chains? This kit seems to be pretty simple I already have a Reese 5th wheel ready to go. Would you recommend another product?
asked by: Johnathan S
Fifth wheel hitch connections differ from others in that they generally don't require safety chain connections. You can verify that with your local laws, but the connection is considered secure enough that safety chains aren't needed.
That doesn't mean you can't use them, of course, but you would have to fashion your own mounts as there is no specific spot to connect safety chains on trucks like your 2004 Dodge Ram when adding 5th wheelbase rails like the B&W Custom Installation Kit with Base Rails for 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches # BWRVK2600.
In regard to these rails and install kit, I definitely recommend going with them. B&W is known for making the highest quality towing parts, and this is a no-drill kit that is a fantastic value so these are exactly what I would have recommended.
The only other thing you may need if you don't have one is a 5th wheel wiring harness, and for your 2004 Ram 2500 the correct part is the Hopkins Endurance 5th Wheel/Gooseneck 90-Degree Wiring Harness with 7-Pole Plug # HM42137.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Fifth Wheel Installation Kit
- Above the Bed
- B and W
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Guide to Choosing the Best Truck for 5th-Wheel Towing
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package
- Q&A: Recommended Gooseneck Hitch For 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
- Q&A: Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Q&A: Installing Fifth Wheel Hitch Bed Rails in Truck with Bed Liner
- Q&A: Installation Of Demco Underbed Rail Kit On 2005 Dodge Ram With 8-Ft Bed
- Q&A: Can 7-Way Wiring be Used to Power Headache Rack Lighting Functions
- Q&A: Is There a GloLight LED Trailer Tail Light with a Chrome or Stainless Steel Trim Ring
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: 7-Way Trailer Plug Adapter or Compatibility with Lance Slide-In Truck Bed Camper
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters