How do I get Light Signals to my Truck Bed Camper Shell/Topper Dome and Brake Required
How do I connect the wiring for a topper brake light and dome light on my 2003 Ram 1500?
asked by: Jeff
To get the brake and dome light functions on your 2003 Dodge Ram to your camper shell or topper the easiest place to find both is at the third brake light. There you will have the third brake light signal and the bed light/dome light that illuminates the rear.
Use a circuit tester like Hook Probe Circuit Tester part # PTW2993 to identify which of the wires running into the light have power when you hit the brake and what wire has power only when the dome light is turned on. These will be the appropriate wires to splice your toppers wires into.
To make your splice the Deka Heat Shrink Butt Connector part # DW05744-5 is a great way and will allow you to protect the connections from the weather. Once spliced I recommend tucking the splices behind the light then installing it back in it's original location allowing the wires to come out on the bottom edge to the camper/topper.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Wire Connectors
- Butt Connectors
- 16-14 Gauge
more information >
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Q&A: Blule Ox Baseplate For A Diesel 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali
- Article: How to Install a Brake Controller on Chevrolet / GMC 1999-2006 Pickups
- Article: Pintle-Hitches
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2023 Ford Bronco
- Q&A: Difference Between RoadActive Suspension Kits for 2024 GMC Sierra 2500
- Q&A: 6k Hub Drum that Can Fit Timbren Axle Less Kit part # ASR1THDS03
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Install Curt Inline Echo Brake Controller On Vehicle with 4-Way
- Q&A: Parts Needed To Activate Trailer Brakes With A 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander
- Q&A: Availability Of 33" Ark Stabilizer Jack And Dimensional Diagrams Of Similar Ark Corner Steadies