bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Is Any Manual Switching Needed with Mighty-Mini Distribution Panel?


Well manual ion be necessary If changing from shore power/generator power/van power? In other words does this know which power source is incoming for charging?


Expert Reply:

I assume that by “Van Power” you mean 12 volt charging via the 12 volt accessory and charging line coming from the van to the battery. As a matter of physics, the battery will see the 12-volt source with the highest voltage. So, if your van 12-volt line is supplying 13 volts and your solar panels are supplying 12.8 volts, then you will have charging at 13 volts without any intervention from the panel. When connected to shore or generator power the converter will charge the battery.

When it comes to selecting shore power or generator power – in most instances you will have an outdoor cord that plugs into the shore power. It “switches” by you unplugging from the shore power and plugging into a generator.

If you have an onboard and hardwired generator you will need a transfer switch like the Progressive Dynamics # PD5110010Q Transfer Switch for 30 Amp service, or the Progressive Dynamics # PD52 for 50 amp.

You should consult a licensed electrician or RV technician for installation assistance if you have any concerns.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>