How to Flat Tow 2020 Nissan Versa with Keyless Ignition
I purchased a 2020 Nissan Versas because the manual states it can be flat-towed. It has a manual transmission, but it also has a keyless ignition. I can unlock the steering, but all of the systems turn on. Manual states the ignition will turn off after 10 minutes, and I assume the steering will lock. No one at Nissan knows anything about flat-towing the car so theyre no help as to how to unlock the steering and leave it unlocked. Does anything bad happen if the steering remains locked while being towed or same question for leaving the car running while being towed? Or other suggestions. Thanks.
asked by: Alan H
Helpful Expert Reply:
I do believe we can help you get this figured out.
According to the owner's manual that I was able to find online, you don't want the car running while you're flat towing your 2020 Nissan Versa and it needs to be started back up every 500 miles. If the steering wheel is locked while you're trying to flat tow the vehicle, the wheels are just going to drag through turns. With that said, I do have something you can try to unlock the steering wheel since you'll need the vehicle in neutral to flat tow it.
For vehicles with keyless ignitions the trick to getting the steering wheel to unlock without turning the car on is to press the start button without having your foot on the brake and it should move the "key" to the ACC position which will unlock the wheel like you'd need. I would recommend doing this and letting the car sit for 15 minutes while in neutral and with the parking brake engaged to make sure that it doesn't lock back up.
If this doesn't work, let me know and I can see if there are any other tricks we can try.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Will The Roadmaster StowMaster Tow Bar Work on a 2010 Hyundai Tucson?
- Recommeneded Coupler Style Tow Bar for a 2008 Chevrolet HHR With a Blue Ox Base Plate
- Baseplate And Tow Bar Compatibility For A 1996 Geo Tracker
- Recommended Base Plate for a 2014 Honda CR-V
- Roadmaster Base Plate Kit that Fits 2023 Jeep Wrangler and Stowmaster Tow Bar
- Recommended Base Plate for a 2007 Jeep Wrangler
- Recommended Flat Towing Set Up for a 2009 Jeep Wrangler X
- Recommended Cross Bar Style Base Plates for 2022 Ford Bronco and StowMaster Tow Bar
- Can The Roadmaster StowMaster Tow Bar Be Converted To Connect To A Pintle Hitch
- What 2012 Ram 1500 Base Plate Kit Pairs with Roadmaster StowMaster Tow Bar
- Replacement Coupler and Arms for Roadmaster StowMaster 5000 Tow Bar
- 2013 Jeep Wrangler Base Plate Kit Fitment with Roadmaster Stowmaster Tow Bar
- Parts Needed To Adapt From Roadmaster StowMaster Tow Bar To Non-Binding Motorhome Mounted Tow Bar
- 2013 Jeep Wrangler Base Plate Kit to Fit Roadmaster Stowmaster Tow Bar
- Parts Needed To Flat Tow a 2013 Honda CR-V
- Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2020 Nissan Versa
- Replacement Coupler Pin Recommendation for 2017 Chevy Spark
- Differences Between Available Roadmaster Tow Bar Covers
- Is Steering Wheel Difficult to Turn When Vehicle is Off and Unlocked When Flat Towing
- What Base Plates Work with Roadmaster Tow Bar # RM-501
- How Does a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar Connect to Base Plate
- Parts Needed to Use a StowMaster Tow Bar to Flat Tow a 2004 Toyota Corolla
- Recommended Base Plates for 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Track
- Does 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Require Special Harness to Unlock Steering Wheel
- Centering Roadmaster StowMaster Tow Bar
- Dimensions Between StowMaster Quick Disconnect Points
- Parts Needed to Flat Tow a 2008 Honda CRV
- Recommended Flat Towing Equipment For A 2021 Chevy Colorado
- Roadmaster Base Plate Kit Part # 3109-1 for 2003 Chevy TrailBlazer