Installing Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller on 2011 Chevy 3500 with ITBC
I have a brand new 2011 3500HD Diesel and Allison dually. I had an 09 Chevy 1/2 ton with the P3 90195 controller. I want to install it on the new truck. I have been through here and found answers to how to connect but they do not match what I see with my diesel eng. The red wires that I hooked up at the fuse box on the 09 are already connected on the 11. I do not see a wiring harness anywhere near like the 09 1/2 ton did to install an aftermarket brake controller. New truck does have the ITBC but I love the P3 and may need it for possible elec over hydro breaks. Any thoughts?
asked by: Scott G
The tow package wiring is typically located under the dash between the area of the emergency brake pedal and the steering column. The wiring harness will have a red/black, a dark blue, a light blue, an orange and a white wire. Many times this wiring harness is taped to a larger wiring harness, making it difficult to find. The tow package harness will typically have a white tag taped to it that identifies the wire colors.
Because you have the ITBC, the install procedure will be a bit different from that of your older truck. You will connect the light blue tow package wire to the red wire of your P3, the red/black tow package wire connects to the black P3 wire, and the white wires connect together. If your truck did NOT have the ITBC, you would connect the dark blue tow pkg wire to the blue wire from the controller, but in this case, you will use a length of 10 gauge wire (sold by the foot as part # 10-1-1). Use a butt connector to attach this wire to the blue brake controller wire, and run the wire through the firewall, and under the vehicle to the 7-way connector at the back. As you are routing the wire, be sure to avoid anything moving like steering or suspension components or hot, like the exhaust manifold or other parts of the exhaust system.
Once you have ran the wire to the 7-way, access the wiring harness that exits the rear of the 7-way connector. Peel back a foot or two of the wire loom, and locate the blue wire in the harness. Sever this wire, and use a butt connector to attach the portion of the wire leading to the 7-way to the length of wire you ran from the brake controller. At this point, you should be good to go.
I have linked you to an FAQ article that you might find helpful.
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Adapter Module for BrakeRite Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator - OE Ford, GM Brake Controllers
- Video: Review of Dexter Axle Brake Actuator - EOH Actuator Adapter Module - DX35FR
- Shop: Dexter BrakeRite SD Adapter for Ford/Chevy Integral Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Adapter to Allow Integrated Brake Controller of 2012 Chevy Silverado Communicate with Dexter EOH
- Q&A: Does the 2013 GM Factory Integrated Controller Work With Dexter Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator?
- Shop: Hydrastar Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator Adapter Module for Ford and Chevy Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Does Dexter Electric over Hydraulic Adapter Affect Standard Electric Brake Performance
- Q&A: Adapter to Allow Dexter DX EOH Actuator to Work with Integrated GM Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Could the Titan Adapter # T4845900 be Hardwired Instead of Using the Connectors
- Video: Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Shop: Drum Brake Reducer for Dexter BrakeRite Systems
- Shop: Dexter BrakeRite II Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator Kit - Vented - 1,500 psi
- Shop: Replacement Dexter BrakeRite II SD Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator - Vented - 1,500 psi
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes Not Activating of Vehicle
- Q&A: Does Adapter Module for BrakeRite Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator Install on Trailer or Vehicle
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Shop: Aluminum Modular Trailer Wheel - 16" x 7" Rim - 8 on 6-1/2 - Silver
- Article: Brake Controller Installation for 2007 (New Body Style) - 2013 GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado
- Article: Aftermarket Brake Control Wiring for 07-13 GM Full-Size Truck with Factory-Integrated Brake Control
- Search Results: brake actuator
- Search Results: dx35fr
- Video: Choosing the Right Brake Controller
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Search Results: trailer brake controller
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Search Results: brake controller
- Video: Choosing the Right Trailer Wiring
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams