Recommended Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator Compatible With OEM Brake Controller In 2016 GMC Yukon
I have a Heritage tandem axle boat trailer with surge disc brakes. Boat and trailer weigh approximately 6000 lbs. I currently tow it with a 2016 GMC Yukon with an HD tow package that includes an in cab brake controller. I want to install a HydraStar electric over hydraulic unit on my trailer and utilize my OEM brake controller. Could you please advise which components I need for my application. Thank you.
asked by: Charles J
We have exactly what you are looking for to convert your surge disc brakes to electric over hydraulic.
Starting with the electric over hydraulic actuator I recommend the HydraStar Marine Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator w/ Breakaway and 7-Way RV Harness # HS381-9067 as it comes with the majority of the components needed for the conversion.
For the OEM trailer brake controller in your 2016 GMC Yukon to work with the # HS381-9067 you will also need the HydraStar Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator Adapter Module # HBA-CAM which is confirmed to work with all GMC/Chevrolet OEM Brake controllers from 2007-2017.
Lastly you will need to lockout your surge brake coupler. If you cannot lockout your coupler you can have it welded, or replace it with a standard coupler to deactivate the surge function.
I included videos for both of the products mentioned for you to take a look at.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Brake Actuator
- Disc Brakes
- Hydraulic Drum Brakes
more information >
- Q&A: Will The Facotry Brake Controller In A 2022 Ram 3500 Work With A Titan BrakeRite EOH Actuator
- Article: Parts Needed to Add Hydraulic Disc Brakes to a Trailer
- Q&A: Replacement Coupler For Boat Trailer Bolt On Surge Coupler Switched to Electric Actuated Brakes
- Q&A: Comparing Demco Channel Tongue Trailer Couplers # DM16080-95 & # DM15931-95
- Q&A: Is the Dexter BrakeRite EOH Actuator DOT Compliant?
- Q&A: What Are The Differences Between The HydraStar # HS381-9067 and HS481-8067?
- Article: Adding Electric Over Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Q&A: Best Kit to Convert Boat Trailer from Surge Brakes to Electric Over Hydraulic
- Article: Parts Needed to Add Electric Drum Brakes to a Trailer
- Q&A: Can Electric Brakes be Used on a Boat Trailer
- Article: How to Bleed Your Trailer Surge Brakes
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: What are the Common Types of Propane Fittings Used on RVs?