bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Install a Brake Controller on a 2012 Chevy Traverse


Just picked up a used Traverse and I am aware it was a rental fleet vehicle. I do not believe it has a tow package. I have been drumming through web-sites and various videos I have found on your web-site. I am hoping you can help me with multiple questions: 1 I see under the dash the connector for a brake control switch. I see it has a red with black, blue, white, and grey wire. It is taped up to other wires near the emergency break as described in videos I watched. It appears the grey wire runs over to the brake pedal switch. Would this seem correct? If this connector is the same and the other wires run to the fuse block what happens after that? I am reading in a catalog that the 2012 Traverse requires hardwire. Essentially, I know I need a brake control however after acquiring the factory wire adapter for the brake control p/n 20269 how is power supplied to the 7-pin at the rear? 2 I read the answer provided on a 2009 wiring installation and it mentions the possibility of there being a connector at the back behind the bumper by the frame rail. Would this be an obvious location or might it be tucked behind something? 3 In trying to learn if my Traverse has the tow package, I inspected the radiator. I then searched the web to see what the transmission cooler looks like attached to a radiator stock from Chevy with no success. I am hoping you can help. On the back side of my radiator and the upper left corner is an additional smaller radiator. I did not trace the lines however it appears it could be a cooler. However, I dont know what it would look like. Can you help to solve the mystery of whether it is a transmission cooler or not? 4 Going back to question 1 and 2. If there is no connector at the rear of the vehicle and the connector on the dash is truly the connector for the brake control. How do I wire from the fuse block to the rear of the vehicle to connect to the 7-pin? I see in the manual there is a designated fuse location for the Trailer Brake Control however I do not know how to connect into the location. Also, if I do hardwire should I use self resetting circuit breakers? see attached diagram. I do appreciate any support you provide and I greatly appreciate your web-site. I look forward to your reply. Also, I see a lot of communication on the web in respect to the Chevy Traverse, dont know how you decide what videos to make but one complete wiring install on no tow package Traverse would be a great one! Thank you!


Helpful Expert Reply:

Once you install a Brake Controller adapter # 3026-P under the dash the wires run to the brake switch and the fuse block like you figured out. After that, the fuse block sends out the voltage on a wire to the brake circuit on the 7-pin at the rear of your vehicle. If you wanted to see where it goes check out the back of the 7-pin and trace the brake circuit wire back from the connector to through your vehicle. If you are looking at the back of the connector the circuit you will be looking at is in the 7:00 position.

To answer your second question, if you already have a 7-pin at the rear of your vehicle you will not need to track down any connectors under your rear bumper.

If the smaller radiator you described is what you sent me a picture of, then that is not a transmission cooler. What you sent me is something electronic related as the heat sinks and wire connectors that attach to it clearly indicate that.

If you do not have a 7-way then you will first need to install a 4-way on your vehicle and then convert it to a 7-way. For the correct parts you will need T-One Wiring Harness # 118450 and Brake Controller Installation Kit # ETBC7. The # ETBC7 comes with self-resetting circuit testers as well as everything else you would need.

If you go this route you will not need to mess with the under-dash wiring that you have found. Most likely, this wiring is incomplete and would be a headache to try and track down.

I attached a couple FAQ articles on transmission coolers for you to check out also.

helpful expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>