Trailer Wiring Harness Installation on 2015 Acura MDX
Disappointed. I bought a hitch and wiring kit for my 2015 Acura MDX. I really enjoyed all the videos and information on your website, it made the buying experience super easy. Unfortunately, I was expecting to be able to slip the 4 pin adapter through the bottom of the car for a super clean install. This lead me to buy a specific hitch with a spot to mount the 4 pin adapter. I installed the hitch but when I did the wiring, the adapter does not fit through the cutover in the bottom of my Acura. In the video on the website for my car and my wiring kit, it fits through the hole. So I guess the manufacturer has changed their wiring and now it doesn’t fit. Very frustrating as now I don’t have a clean install but have to run the wire through the lift gate and I the money I spend on a hitch with a mount spot is wasted. I can’t expand the hole in my car so I’m stuck. You should update the wiring video to show that the part 118628 does not fit though and MDX hole in the trunk. Or maybe there is some solution I’m missing? Thanks.
asked by: Carson M
I'm sorry that happened. According to Tekonsha, they haven't changed the plug used on their 4 pole trailer connectors in many years, so I suppose it's possible that either the drain hole diameter might not be consistent across the vehicle line or there might be another larger opening in the floor pan.
What I'd do in your situation is use a rotary tool like a Dremel to notch one edge of the hole just enough so you can slip the trailer connector through. Reinstall the plug using silicone to completely seal any voids to prevent exhaust intrusion into the passenger cabin.
Another option would be to cut the connector lead that exits the converter box, leaving enough room so that when you splice back together, the splice is located up in the vehicle. I'd use heat shrink butt connectors like # DW05744-5 to the connection to prevent water from getting into the connection.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Wire Connectors
- Butt Connectors
- 16-14 Gauge
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Does Trailer Wiring Harness for 2017 Acura MDX Require Connection to Vehicle Battery
- Can 12 Volt Circuit of Trailer 7-Way Keep Trailer Battery Topped Off
- Does T-One 4-Way Wiring Harness for 2019 Acura MDX Support Reverse Light Function
- Is a Relay Required for a Wiring Harness on a 2020 Acura MDX
- Best 4-way Connector for 2014 Acura MDX
- What is Converter Box for On Trailer Wiring Harnesses for 2018 Acura MDX
- Recommended Trailer Wiring Harness for 2018 Acura MDX
- Recommended 7-Way and Brake Controller for a 2018 Acura MDX
- T-One 4-Pole Flat Wiring Harness # 118628 Installation Video for 2014 Acura MDX
- 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Wiring Recommendation for Towing with a 2018 Acura MDX
- Do I Need Relays From the Dealer for the Trailer Wiring to Work on a 2016 Acura MDX
- Do Any Trailer Hitches For 2020 Acura MDX Allow 20 Inch Spare To Be Kept Under Car
- Does Battery of 2018 Acura MDX Have to Be Disconnected to Install Trailer Wiring
- Recommended Cargo Carrier and Lighting for 2014 Acura MDX
- Is 18" The Tire Or Wheel Size That Fits With etrailer Trailer Hitch e98840 On 2017 Acura MDX?
- Alternative to etrailer Trailer Hitch Receiver for 2017 Acura MDX
- Is Relay Required to Install Wiring Harness in 2018 Acura MDX
- Will etrailer Trailer Hitch Receiver Fit 2017 Acura MDX With Full Size Spare
- Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2018 Acura MDX
- Wiring Harness That Provides A 7 Round Pin For 2018 Acura MDX
- Trailer Hitch Receiver Compatible With a Compact Spare Tire On a 2019 Acura MDX
- Adding a 7-Way Trailer Connector and Brake Controller to a 2015 Acura MDX
- Difference Between Curt and etrailer Trailer Hitch Receivers for 2019 Acura MDX
- Does Installation of etrailer e98840 Hitch Receiver on 2020 MDX Require Any Modifications to Body
- Recommended Ball Mount Trailer Ball and Trailer Wiring Harness for 2016 Acura MDX
- Installation of Curt Trailer Wiring Harness on a 2018 Acura MDX
- Recommended Brake Controller And Wiring Harness For 2017 Acura MDX
- Recommendation for Trailer Hitch and Wiring on a 2020 Acura MDX
- Does Installation of Curt Trailer Hitch C13146 Void Warranty on 2016 Acura MDX