Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Replace Brakes and Actuator on a Boat Trailer


Hi. I am replacing 10 inch drum brakes and actuator, 6000 gvw boat trailer. 2 inch ball if I want to be able to back up, do I want free backing brakes or electric lockout actuator or both? Do you sell a 3 foot section of 3x3 removable tongue? to attach new actuator. I could reuse mine but have to grind off old actuator. Which brand actuator do you recommend? titan demco dexter? With that titan actuator it looks like a pain to screw the ball tight each time. Do people like that? Thanks!


Expert Reply:

You would need to install a surge brake actuator with reverse lockout so that you can back up with your boat trailer. I recommend Demco Hydraulic Brake Actuator w/ Electric Lockout # DM8605101 to replace your old surge brake actuator. It is designed to fit 3" wide trailer tongues. It is designed to work with 2" hitch balls.

We have swing away kits that you can add to your trailer tongue in order to swing the coupler away for storage. There is a bolt on # FHDPB330301 and weld on # FHDPW330300 application but they are only rated for 5,000 lbs.

We do not carry trailer tongue extensions. You can check with a local steal supplier in order to get an extension piece.

expert reply by:
Jacob H

Products Referenced in This Question

Video/Article/FAQ this Question was Asked From

Article or Video

Follow up Questions

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>