bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed To Flat Tow 2011 GMC Acadia


I would like to talk with someone about all the items i would need to flat tow.


Expert Reply:

First you will need a base plate kit made specifically for your vehicle. For your Acadia use the crossbar-style Roadmaster # 523149-1 base plates.

Next you will need a tow bar. I recommend the Roadmaster # RM-522 “Falcon” All Terrain and Non-Binding tow bar rated for 6000 pounds. A non-binding tow bar will let you easily disconnect your tow bar even if your coach and towed vehicle is not on level ground or at a difficult angle.

When your coach and towed vehicle are hitched together on level ground, the tow bar should be within 3” of level, otherwise you will need to add a High-Low Adapter. I have attached an article explaining how to measure for an adapter, and a link to a page showing all of our adapters.

You will also need safety cables to keep the towed vehicle connected to your coach in case of a tow bar failure. I would recommend the Roadmaster # RM-645 which are 64” long and rated for 8000 pounds. I like that the connectors are made so they cannot bounce off the cable hooks. I also prefer the straight cables compared to coiled – it just looks cleaner when they are all tucked away.

Next you will need a flat tow wiring kit. I recommend the Roadmaster # RM-152-98146-7 Universal wiring kit which includes everything you need to connect your RV's tail, brake, and turn signal lights to your towed car. Diodes prevent feedback and wire your car to operate as a combined system. Includes a 7-way to 6-way straight adapter cord. When you do finally get ready to plug your electrical cables in, I would put a little Edelmann # 11755 dielectric grease on those connections. The dielectric grease will keep help keep moisture and corrosion out of your connections.

Your towed vehicle requires that a particular fuse(s) be pulled when in-tow otherwise your towed vehicles battery can be drained. Instead of getting into your vehicles fuse box and pulling the fuse(s) each time, many RVer's use a Fuse Bypass like the Roadmaster # RM76511 so they will have a dash switch to conveniently turn that fuse position on and off.

You will also want a supplemental braking system that improves braking and handling, and extends the life of your coaches braking system. Most states will require them for flat towing over 3000 pounds. If your coach has traditional hydraulic brakes then I recommend the Brake Buddy # HM39524 portable system that has proportional braking and a wireless display for your cab so you can see your braking system status. If your coach has air brakes, you will instead need the Demco # DM26VR supplemental braking system for air brakes.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>