Is a Crossbar Spread of 21 Inches Too Small for my Thule Square Crossbars?
Hello, I have a 2019 Ford Transit connect. The instruction manual for my new Thule square bars shows warning signs for the front-most fixed points see attached. Is there a specific reason for this? I have existing roof accessories that eliminate use of the two rear locations, which would only leave me with the second and third points, which are spaced 21 inches apart. Is this 21 inches too small for most applications? Thanks
asked by: Kevin
Helpful Expert Reply:
I talked to my contact at Thule, and the reason why the two fixed mounting points are crossed off is because the wind resistance to anything mounted on those front points can cause the cargo to shift on the bars.
As far as the use of the 21 inches on the second and third points of your Transit, Thule recommends users to avoid crossbar spreads of 24 inches or less. The reasoning behind this is the concern that the cargo might shift unexpectedly. With that being said, as long as the cargo is extremely secure, you would most likely not have an issue with a spread of 21 inches.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Thule Roof Rack Components that Fits Leer Camper Shell
- What Fit Kit Allows Thule Roof Rack to Fit Camper Shell Tracks
- Parts Needed To Install A Thule Roof Rack Onto Leer Work Cap Truck Bed Shell
- What Do I Need To Put A Roof Rack On My A.R.E Topper With Tracks
- Thule Fit Kit For RetraxONE XR Tonneau Cover
- Availability of Fit Kit for Thule Podium Feet to Fit in Roof Track Channels
- Dimensions of the Track Nut in the Fit Kit for Thule Podium-Style Roof Rack Feet
- Are Replacement Washers Available for Thule Fit Kit 3101
- How To Add Thule Crossbars To a Pace Edwards Tonneau Cover with Explorer Series Rails
- Thule Roof Rack that Can Fit Channels on Top of Camper Shell
- Parts Needed To Install Old Square Thule Crossbars on RetraxPRO Tonneau Cover
- Can Thule Roof Rack be Used with Yakima Rails on 2019 A.R.E. Cap
- Thule Aero Bar Roof Rack that Can Fit Channels of RetraxPro XR Tonneau Cover
- Thule Fit Kit 3101 Compatibility With Thule TB60 Track
- Thule Roof Rack Compatible with Thule Track on Leer Truck Cap Shell
- Is the Track Nut for Fit Kit 3101 the Same as for the TK1
- Recommended Roof Rack for Factory Tracks on Bed Cap
- Thule Roof Rack System Using Yakima Tracks on A.R.E Truck Topper
- What Replacement Bolts do I Need from # THKIT3101?
- Thule Square Bar Roof Rack that Can Install in Channels of Leer Camper Shell
- Can Thule Square Bar Roof Rack Fit Pace Edwards UltraGroove Tonneau
- Foot Pack And Fit Kit For Thule Tracker ll Roof Rack On Leer Camper Shell
- Parts Needed to Install Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack on Diamond HD Truck Bed Tonneau
- Roof Rack for Leer Camper Shell with Factory Roof Tracks
- Recommended Roof Rack for 1995 BMW 8 Series
- Thule Aero Bar Roof Rack Recommendation for Van With Thule Channels
- What Is Crossbar Distance Needed For Roof Rack Paddleboard Carriers
- Recommended Thule Roof Rack for an ARE Truck Cap with Rails
- Will Thule Roof Rack Fit Kit # KIT3101 Fit on Yakima Roof Rack Tracks # Y01135
- Thule Podium Track Fit Kit and Tonneau Cover With Ladder Rack Fit Options