Troubleshooting Trailer Lights Staying On After 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe is Turned Off
I had the custom wiring connector CMF56332 installed on my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe at my local UHaul dealer. The brown wire pin tail, side clearance, and brake lights remains hot even with vehicle cut off. Is this correct? Wont this drain the car battery if the trailer remains connected to the vehicle while its not running?
asked by: Randall N
The Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness # C56332 receives the signals for lighting from the vehicle and sends power to the lights from the battery via the converter.
Your 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe does have a welcome/surround light feature that will continue to keep some of your lights on when you either unlock your vehicle or switch off your vehicle. Typically this will have a time delay and will turn your lights off after that time has elapsed.
If your trailer lights are on when the vehicle lights are off there is something wrong with the powered converter or with the installation of the parts on your Hyundai. I suggest if this is the case checking the wiring connections to ensure that it was installed per the instructions. I have linked both the instructions as well as a video showing the kit installed on your Hyundai below.
You can use a Circuit Tester # PTW2991 to ensure that the correct wires are receiving power and are grounded on the power converter.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: How to Tell if 2020 Kia Sorento Has Factory Tow Package
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: 4-Way Wiring Harness For a 2023 Kia Telluride SX Prestige X-Line With LED Tail Lights
- Q&A: How to Tell if a 2019 Kia Sorento has a Tow Package
- Q&A: Can Connection of Brake Lite Relay to Stoplight Switch be At Brake Pedal
- Article: How to Choose a Battery Charger
- Q&A: How to Tell if 2019 Kia Sorento is Equipped with Factory Tow Package
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch