bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Adding Trailer Brake Controller and Sway Control to a 2021 Subaru Ascent Towing a Travel Trailer


We just purchased a new 2021 Subaru Ascent Limited which can tow up to 5000 lbs. We hope to get an RV travel trailer that we can tow for camping. We have learned that certain RVs that we like are not user friendly for our Ascent because the Ascents unibody frame does not accept/work with a weight distribution hitch. This is very important because we do not want to get into a possible swaying RV situation on the highway. 1 One potential trailer has electric brakes for which we would buy a brake controller. Which brake controller brand would you recommend? 2 As the functions are different, am I right in guessing there is not a brake controller out there that has an anti-sway feature? Thank you very much for your help!


Expert Reply:

I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller # 90195 for your 2021 Subaru Ascent. This brake controller is customizable and proportional. This means that it uses its internal inertia sensor to help adjust your braking for light or severe braking conditions.

If your Ascent came with the factory towing package a Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter # 3062-P will allow you to simply plug in the P3 controller into the factory connector under the dash. Otherwise you will need a Universal Installation Kit # ETBC7 to install the brake controller and 7-way on your Ascent.

The Tuson Sway Electronic Sway Control System # 335TSC-1000 will attach to the travel trailer and control the sway by activating the trailer brakes independently when sway is detected. There is a notification light that will mount to the front of your travel trailer that will let you know when the system will be activated. I have not yet seen an aftermarket brake controller that is capable of detecting trailer sway and correcting it.

expert reply by:
Gregory M

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>