Troubleshooting a Truck 7-way for a Non Functioning Left Turn/Stop Circuit
left signal light and brake light do not work rest of lights do want to see a diagram of the truck end of a 7 way hookup for trailer
asked by: Judy
I attached a picture of the front and back of a vehicle side 7-way for you to check out.
If you are looking at the front of your 7-way the left turn/brake signal is the one in the 9:00 position. I would recommend you test this circuit with a circuit tester like our part # PTW2992 while the left blinker of your vehicle is on and look for intermittent voltage. If there is not voltage then you know the problem is in your vehicle and the circuit should be traced back looking for damage and repaired as necessary.
If there is voltage there then you know the problem is on the trailer side of the equation. You will want to trace the circuit back and repair as necessary. The most common culprits are the trailer connector and the grounds of the light assemblies.
You may also find corrosion on either of the connectors. Sometimes this can create a short and can be fixed by cleaning it off.
I attached an FAQ article on wiring that you might find informative also.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Shop: Dexter Tandem-Axle Trailer Equalizer Kit for 2-1/2" Slipper Springs - 18-3/8" Equalizers
- Shop: Hayes Spring Eye Bushing for 10k Springs
- Q&A: Trailer and Vehicle Side 7-Way Wiring Diagrams
- Shop: Pollak Replacement 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector Socket - Vehicle End
- Q&A: Where Do the Wires on the Universal Install Kit for Trailer Brake Controllers Get Installed?
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Shop: Pollak Black Plastic, 7-Pole, RV Blade-Style Trailer Socket - Vehicle End
- Video: Tow Ready Replacement 7-Way Harness Review
- Video: Tow Ready Wiring - Trailer Connectors - 20147 Review
- Shop: Hopkins Endurance Quick-Install 7-Way Trailer Connector - Vehicle End
- Shop: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires
- Shop: Tow Ready Replacement 7-Way Harness and Socket for Factory Tow Package
- Q&A: Troubleshooting 7-Way Installation that Has No Right Turn or Stop Lights on Trailer
- Video: Tekonsha OEM Replacement Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2018 Kia Sorento
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Q&A: How to Wire a 7-Way Trailer Connector on a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Video: Review of Redarc Trailer Brake Controller Parts - Universal Wiring Harness - RED69FR
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Search Results: universal wiring harness
- Video: Redarc Brake Controller 331-TPH-010 Review
- Search Results: tph015
- Search Results: help
- Q&A: Service Trailer Brake and No Power to Brakes on 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
- Q&A: Any Special Requirements to Install Trailer Wiring on a 2015 GMC Sierra with Day Time Running Lights
- Q&A: How Does 7-Way Harness Unplug from 7-Way Connector
- Video: Pollak 7-Pole Trailer Connector Socket Installation - 2000 Ford Expedition
- Shop: BOLT brand vehicle and hitch locks