bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Tow Horse Trailer Behind Truck with Truck Bed Camper Extending 41 Past Bumper


I have a 1988 F350 crew cab dually with a 7.3l diesel and a Lance camper that measures 41inch from receiver to camper bumper. Id like to tow a dual axel 3 horse trailer with Ebrakes the weights 4,200 lbs empty horses weight around 1000 lbs Please inform me everything hitch-related Ill need. Thanks


Expert Reply:

To start, if you don't already have a Torklift dual hitch like the # TLF1000 on your 1988 Ford F-350 you will need to install one. This will allow you to use the TorkLift SuperTruss Hitch Extension for SuperHitch Trailer Hitch Receivers - 48" Long # TLE1548 to get enough clearance from your Lance camper to tow a horse trailer. The SuperTruss has a 600-lbs tongue weight/6000-lbs gross towing weight limit unless you were to use a weight distribution hitch, which would get you to 1,200-lbs/12,000-lbs capacity.

You may also need a 7 way extension plug, which is available with the TorkLift Wiring Harness Extension for 48" SuperTruss or Cannon Hitch Extender - 7-Way RV # TLW6048, which would connect between the 7 way on the the horse trailer and your F-350.

You can use a standard ball mount on your SuperTruss, so if you've got existing towing parts then you won't need anything else on that side of it. If you don't have a brake controller for your truck you will need one to control the brakes on the trailer; for that I recommend using the Trailer Brake Controller # TK63VR and install plug # 20127 because it gives you proportional trailer braking at a reasonable price. The I-Command will install by hardwiring into the wiring under the dash of your F-350.

I've linked some review and installation videos of these parts for you to check out, as well.

Truck Camper Photo
Truck Camper Photo
(click to enlarge)
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>