Troubleshooting Trailer Lights Dim and Flickering When Towing W/ 2017 Toyota Highlander
The Trailer lights are dim and flicker when driving but work fine when parked. Can the ground on this harness be modified like the Curt version? Is the Curt version better at overcoming the ground at the hitch ball?
asked by: David K
I would be happy to help!
The ground on the Tekonsha T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness # 118449 you have on your 2017 Toyota Highlander cannot be modified to be grounded directly to the frame like the Curt # C56217 you mentioned. The # 118449 gets its ground through the factory connector.
Now there should be no reason that the # 118449 would cause the ground issue, but there are a few things you can check. Remove the connectors from the factory harness and look for any bent pins or debris that could be causing the ground issue.
More than likely the issue is a bad ground on the trailer tongue. This is the main ground and can cause all sorts of issues if it is bad. Check to make sure it is securely connected to clean corrosion free metal.
I included videos of the products mentioned for you to take a look at.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- Powered Converter
- Custom Fit
- 4 Flat
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: Installing 7-way Blade Trailer Connector on 2013 Toyota Highlander
- Q&A: How To Determine if the 2018 Toyota Highlander Has A Tow Package For Trailer Wiring
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Q&A: How to Determine if a 2018 Toyota Highlander has a Factory Tow Package
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: How To Tell If 2015 Toyota Highlander Came With Tow Package For Trailer Wiring Harness
- Q&A: How to Determine if a 2017 Toyota Highlander has a Factory Tow Package
- Q&A: How To Tell If 2016 Toyota Highlander Has Factory Tow Package Wiring
- Q&A: How to Tell if 2019 Toyota Highlander Has Factory Tow Package
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Article: 2023 Best Gifts for Auto Enthusiasts