Parts Needed to Install a Brake Controller on a 2019 F-150 Without the Tow Package
Install P2 on my 2019 Ford F150 XLT. The truck didnt have a tow package when purchased. Used factory aftermarket harness for the 7 way and 3036-p brake harness and the unit will not power up. Does the trailer need to be plugged in before the unit turns on? If not what do you recommend I do?
asked by: Terry C
If your 2019 Ford F-150 did not come from the factory with a 7 Way on the back of the vehicle, the needed power wire and brake signal wires may actually be there, but are not connected to the factory port. They can also be pretty hard to get at as they are run from under the hood to the end of the driver's side frame rail.
What is actually going to be easier is reinstalling your 4 Flat harness and then installing our Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller # ETBC7. This will piggyback off the 4 Flat and has all the needed wiring and circuit breakers to get the brake controller up and running.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Trailer Brake Controller
- Installation Kits
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 and the P3 Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Brake Controller Recommendation for a Truck with Air Brakes and a Trailer with Electric Brakes
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: 5 Things to Know About Weight Distribution Hitches
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Install Brake Controller in 2023 Sprinter
- Q&A: Lug Nut Torque Chart for Trailer Wheels
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: Parts Needed to Install 7-Way/4-Way on 2024 Kia Telluride with LED Taillights