Will Lowering Trailer Ball by 2 Inches Raise Rear of Boat Trailer By 2 Inches
I recently purchase a 2021 Axis T23 I believe the weight is 5,000 lbs. Given my low garage, the shop had to adjust the trailer down as low as possible but it now only has a clearance of 1.5 inches between the prop protector on the trailer and the ground. Someone suggested I get an adjustable trailer hitch my current one is 17 inches off the ground and adjust it downwards as this should create more clearance on the back. Note that my trailer is a dual axle trailer I have two questions. If I bring the trailer hitch down by 2 inches, does that create 2 more inches in the back? Also, what risks do I create if I do this? I was told that 17 inches creates a level trailer. I pull it with a 2016 Ford F150 4x4 if that matters.
asked by: Kevin Y
Helpful Expert Reply:
Honestly, lowering the trailer ball by 2 inches probably isn't going to gain you corresponding elevation at the rear of the trailer because of the articulation of the trailer suspension seen on a tandem axle trailer. You'll get a small height increase, and it certainly won't hurt, but lowering the ball won't gain you 2 inches additional height at the rear.
Depending on the height difference between the rear-most trailer cross-member and the prop protector, a set of Skid Wheels like # UF48-979013 would extend 6-3/4 inches below the surface its mounted to. This would prevent the prop protector from bottoming out on sloped driveways.
Products Referenced in This Question
- RV Skid Wheels
- Frame Mount
- 6 Inch Diameter Wheel
- Ultra-Fab Products
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Can a Trailer Ride With the Tongue at an Upward or Downward Angle
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: The 5 Best Trailer Drop Hitches You Can Buy
- Q&A: Roadmaster 523223-5 - Does It Have A Welded Crossmember And How Much Does It Weigh?
- Q&A: Recommended Parts to Flat Tow a 2024 Chevy Silverado 2500
- Q&A: How Close Does Trailer Ball Height Need to be to the Height of the Trailer Coupler
- Article: Steel vs. Aluminum Ball Mounts
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Q&A: How To Secure a Can-Am Spyder On a Trailer
- Q&A: Flange Width and Hitch Pin Dimensions for Curt Rebellion XD Adjustable Ball Mount
- Article: Trailer Tire Sizing
- Q&A: Does a Trailer have to be towed Level or Can it be Off Up or Down
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)