How Do You Remove An OEM Hitch Receiver For A 2005 Ford Escape
Your expert replies to someone else: I have some good news for you! The Curt # C13651 and Draw-Tite # 75751 will install on your 2010 Ford Escape without having to remove the factory hitch. I have attached the installation instructions, a video, as well as a picture to illustrate how this will look once on your vehicle. Please keep in mind that both hitch receivers will still be functional but should not be used at the same time. Using both receivers at the same time could overload your vehicle and cause damage. As for removing the factory hitch, as long as it was a bolt-on application you shouldnt have any problems removing it if you chose to. Alternate mounting instructions are listed for vehicles without the factory hitch. PLEASE SEND ME THE INSTRUCTIONS AND VIDEO ABOUT HOW TO DO THIS. ID LIKE TO REMOVE THE OLD FACTORY 1 1/4 INCH HITCH BUT DONT SEE ANY INSTRUCTIONS. THANKS. IM READY TO DO THIS BUT JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW.
asked by: CALOGERO G
You should be able to unbolt the hitch receiver from your 2005 Ford Escape. If not, it is part of the bumper assembly. In this case, to remove the hitch receiver, you will have to remove, and replace, the bumper. We do not have the instructions or a video for removing your old hitch receiver. Nor do we sell a replacement bumper assembly for your vehicle, However, you should be able to get some of this information from where you purchase the replacement bumper assembly for the 2005 Ford Escape.
Once the bumper is replaced you can install a new hitch receiver. I recommend the Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" part # 13650. This hitch receiver CANNOT be installed unless the factory hitch receiver has been removed. It is a Class III hitch receiver with a maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs and a maximum gross trailer weight of 3500 lbs.
I have included a product description and a video installation of the Curt Trailer Hitch I recommended below.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class III
- 350 lbs TW
- 3500 lbs GTW
- 5000 lbs WD GTW
- 2 Inch Hitch
- 500 lbs WD TW
- Visible Cross Tube
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Trailer Hitch that Fits 2010 Mercury Mariner
- Does the Draw-Tite Hitch # 75751 fit under the Spare of a 2009 Ford Escape
- Tow Capacity of A 2005 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L V6
- What Tow Wiring do I Need for Towing a U-Haul Trailer on My 2009 Ford Escape?
- Recommended Trailer Hitch and Trailer Wiring Harness for 2012 Ford Escape
- What Does Draw Tite Hitch part # 75751 Weigh
- What Tools are Needed to Install Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 75751 on a 2006 Ford Escape
- Will Draw-Tite Class III Part # 75751 Fit 2010 Ford Escape With Exhaust Dampener
- Towing Capacity for 2008 Ford Escape with a 3.0 liter V8
- Maximum Towing Capacity of a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with 2.3L Engine
- Recommended Trailer Hitch For 2012 Ford Escape
- Trailer Hitch For 2011 Ford Escape
- How to Order Replacement Installation Hardware for a Trailer Hitch
- Will Rear Vallance Need to be Trimmed to Install a Trailer Hitch on a 2009 Ford Escape 4x4
- Trailer Hitch, Ball Mount, and Trailer Wiring Recommendations for a 2010 Ford Escape XLT
- Recommended Hitch Fit for 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
- How Does 4-Way Wiring Plug Mount To Trailer Hitch 75751 On a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid
- Trailer Hitch and Trailer Wiring Connector for a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid
- 2 inch Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2012 Ford Escape
- What is Towing Capacity of 2012 Ford Escape with Draw Tite Hitch 75751 Installed
- Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver For 2005 Ford Escape
- Can 2012 Ford Escape Tow 1,000 lb Trailer
- Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid with a Bike Rack with a 2 Inch Shank
- Will the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Class III Trailer Hitch Fit on a 2005 Mazda Tribute S
- Can a Trailer Hitch Be Detected by the Back Up Sensors on a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
- Can 1-1/4 Inch Factory Hitch on 2010 Ford Escape Be Removed to Install 2 Inch Hitch
- Trailer Hitch Recommendation for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
- Recommended Hitch for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid
- Where is the Draw-Tite Hitch 75751 for a 2011 Ford Escape Made