bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Is There An Adapter To Reduce 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver To 1-1/4" Receiver?


Hi there, I have a Thule T2 Pro XTR - 2 Bike 1.25 inch Bike Rack. I wanted to check that it was safe to use an adaptor with this if one was to put it in a 2 inch hitch on a car. Ive read in some forums that you have a device/adaptor that allows you to do that. If so, what is the product? My four questions are: 1 is there any safety issue with tongue weight capacity? I figure if you are going from a 2 inch car hitch on a car that can take that capacity to a 1.25 inch rack .. that it is probably okay. Is the issue with tongue weight capacity going the other way? ie. if you have a 2 inch rack that you are trying to put onto a 1.25 hitch on a car. 2 I know this rack locks securely to a 1.25 hitch on the car. If I use an adapter, do you have a locking mechanism that would lock the bike rack to the adaptor? If so, what do you suggest? 3 using the adaptor, does it create any more sway in the rack? ie. because the hitch adapter extends out a tiny bit more? Thanks very much for your help!


Expert Reply:

To get straight to the point, the Thule T2 actually comes in a 2" version for your vehicle: Thule T2 Pro XTR Bike Rack for 2 Bikes - 2" Hitches - Wheel Mount # TH83JV. So you would not need to use an adapter.

To answer your other questions, you can usually get by with using Hitch Reducer 2" to 1-1/4" Trailer Hitch Receiver # HT02 to reduce a 2" receiver down to 1-1/4". This product specifically does not reduce any tongue weight or weight rating of the hitch. However, other hitch adapters would usually reduce the overall hitch capacity by 50% which is not ideal, especially for 1-1/4" receivers that usually have a low capacity to begin with. Sometimes the accessory will have a lock that still works with the adapter, but other times you may need to use a longer hitch lock (see attached link). Using a hitch extender would typically add more sway and movement in the accessory.

expert reply by:
Andrew N

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>