bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Which Accessories are Needed to Flat Tow 2013 Chevy Sonic


I just bought a 2013 Chevy Sonic hatchback and want to know everything needed to flat tow my vechicle from the tow bar to the wiring harness and recommended brake assist. I have a class A RV w/ a 2inch reciver hitch w a 7 prong plug, Thanks


Expert Reply:

To safely flat tow your Sonic, you will need the following items: a tow bar, base plates, safety cables, a wiring solution and a supplemental braking system.

I would recommend the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar, part # RM-520. The Flacon 2 features quick disconnects and auto-locking arms that allow you to couple to the RV even if the car is not perfectly lined up behind the RV.

To provide an attachment point on the vehicle to connect the tow bar, you will need to install a base plate kit, part # 523173-4. Safety cables like part # RM-643 will also be needed.

Although there are a few different options for wiring, the Roadmaster bulb and socket kit, part # RM-155 would be a permanent installation that would not require any cutting or splicing into the existing vehicle wiring.

The majority of states require that any flat towed vehicle be equipped with a supplemental braking system. The Stay-IN-Play DUO # SM99251 is one of the easiest to use after it's installed. When you're ready to tow the Sonic just flip a switch to activate it. Then flip it back when you want to drive.

Because your vehicle must have fuses pulled in order to flat tow it, Roadmaster also recommends a fuse bypass, part # RM76511.

According the the best information I could access online, your Sonic is capable of being flat towed without significant modification, regardless of whether it is equipped with the manual or automatic transmission, but I highly recommend you confirm that by checking your owners manual and with your Chevy Dealer.

I have linked you to some installation videos and FAQ articles that you might find helpful.

expert reply by:
Mike L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>