Can Bearing Buddy Bearing Protectors Be Used on EZ Lube Spindles
I just bought a CE Smith Multi-Sport Trailer with 8inch wheels model CE48870. After taking the dust cap off I find a zerk fitting on the axle. Is this an EZ Lube spindle ? If I put the Bearing Buddy on do I need to remove the zerk fitting on the trailer now. And will the Bearing Buddy perform as well as the current setup on the Multi Sport trailer now? I have attached a picture of the stock set up with the zerk. Thank you in advance.
asked by: Barnett B
What you show in the photo is indeed an EZ Lube spindle. You can install a Bearing Buddy on your hubs (the correct part number would be part # BB1980A-SS), but you'd need to remove the existing zerk fitting. It looks like the zerk on your spindles is threaded into the end of the spindle, so you'd need to unscrew it to remove it.
Both the EZ Lube and the Bearing Buddy have their advantages. Bearing Buddies apply pressure to the hub cavity which helps exclude water from the hub, but the EZ Lube spindles deliver the grease to the center of the hub, right where you need it rather than simply forcing it through the outer bearing like a Bearing Buddy does. The Bearing Buddy has an auto check feature, which will tell you at a glance if grease needs to be added. Either scenario will allow you to blow out the grease seal if the hub is over-filled.
I've used both systems in the past, and I honestly prefer the EZ Lube setup.
If you use the provided link, you can see a typical installation of the Bearing Buddy bearing protectors.
(click to enlarge)
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Bearings Races Seals Caps
- Bearing Protector Grease Cap
- 1.98 Inch
- Bearing Buddy
more information >
- Q&A: Does the CE Smith Multi Sport Plus Boat and Kayak Trailer w/ Bunks CE48870 Come Pre-Greased
- Q&A: Will The CE Smith Multi Sport Trailer CE48810 Work To Haul 14' Inflatable Boat Over Short Distance?
- Q&A: Should Weight of Boat on Trailer be Balanced on Either Side of Axle
- Q&A: Where Can Winch Mount and Bow Roller Mount on CE Smith Multi Sport Plus Boat Trailer 48870
- Q&A: Parts Needed for Converting 8" Wheels On CE Smith Multi Sport Trailer from 8" to 12" Wheel and Tire
- Q&A: Is CE Smith Boat Trailer Rated for Sustained Highway Speeds
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer for Bass Pro Pond Prowler 10 Foot Fishing Boat
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: Hyk Outdoors Teardrop Campers: Happy Camping Without the Hassle
- Article: How to Choose a Trailer Hitch Coupler
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: How Does a Trailer Hitch Coupler Work?