bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Adding a 7-Way Trailer Connector to a 2012 Ford Escape


I have a 2012 Ford Escape I need a 7 way pin adapter. What product # should I order. Is there a difference between blade and pin adapters?


Expert Reply:

There is a difference between the 7-way blade connector and 7-way pin connector. The 7-way blade connection is most common on passenger vehicle and trailer connections. The 7-way pin connector is more commonly found in commercial and agricultural applications. I have included a picture of the vehicle side connectors to see the difference.

For your 2012 Ford Escape first we have to identify if it came equipped with the factory 4-way flat harness installed. If you already have a 4-way flat connector on your Escape you can continue to the next section. If you do not have a 4-way flat connector you will need the Tekonsha T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness # 118551. This will connect to your tail lights to operate the tail lights on the trailer you will be hauling.

The 4-way flat connection will plug in the Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller # ETBC7 to get you a 7-way blade connection. The Hopkins Trailer Connector Adapter # 47595 will convert the 7-way blade to the 7-way pin connection if that is what you do need. You will have to still run the remaining wires and connect a Brake Controller # 90195 if your trailer requires one. I have linked some videos below that will help you see what all is involved with the wiring.

Vehicle Side 7-Way Connections and Wiring
Vehicle Side 7-Way Connections and Wiring
(click to enlarge)
expert reply by:
Gregory M

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>