Unlocking Yakima Locking Knob That Does Not Have a Lock Core Cylinder In Place
Hello - My Yakima Sparetime Bike Rack Locking Knob has the lock core removed and the locking knob is still spinning freely so I cant remove the rack. Any idea how I can get the rack off? This is a safety hazard because I dont have access to my spare tire at the moment.
asked by: Carlos G
Inside your Locking Knob for Yakima SpareTime Bike Rack # 8890239 there is a slot that the Yakima Same Key System (SKS) Lock Cores # Y07202 slide into and operates the latch mechanism on your knob.
As you do not have a lock cylinder currently in your knob you will be able to place a small tip screw driver into this slot and slide it back into the unlocked position. You may need to use some penetrating oil inside this if the latch is siezed due to being exposed to dirt and moisture.
Without having a lock core inside the knob it is free lock and unlock as you drive which is dangerous and could come undone without your knowledge.
We do have the Yakima Same Key System (SKS) Lock Cores # Y07202 if you wish to add a new lock core to your knob so that you will not have to deal with the knob locking and unlocking on its own.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Roof Bike Racks
- Roof Box
- Roof Rack
- Ski and Snowboard Racks
- Lock Parts
- Lock Cores and Cylinders
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Replacement Locking Knob for Swagman Roof Mounted, Upright Bike Carrier
- Q&A: Replacement Locking Knob For a Thule Apex Swing Away 902700 Bike Rack
- Q&A: Bolt Dimensions for Replacement Lockable Knob for Thule Spare Me Spare Tire Bike Rack
- Q&A: What Size Wire Should Be Used With the Go Power Solar Entry Cable Plate?
- Q&A: Replacement Locking Knob for Thule Helium Aero 3
- Article: Rust Prevention
- Q&A: Replacement Knob With Bolt For Thule 9025 Apex 4 Bike Rack
- Q&A: Is Thule Locking Knob TH79JV M8 Thread Size
- Q&A: Are the Inno and Thule Square Crossbars Interchangeable
- Article: What are the Common Types of Propane Fittings Used on RVs?
- Article: How to Carry Bikes While Towing a Travel Trailer
- Article: How to Replace an RV Roof Vent Cover
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers