All Trailer Lights Work Except Brake Lights Using Tail Light Kit # TL29BK
All lights work except when i apply the brakes ?
asked by: Rick
This is most likely a bad ground. Ground issues normally show up when there is more load on a circuit such as the constant draw of brake lights. There are a few things that could cause this to happen. The first thing you are going to want to check though is the vehicle side connector to make sure the brake signal is reaching that point.
Use a circuit tester like # PTW2993 if you do not already have one to test the vehicle side connector. If the brake signal is not coming through, then check the stop light/CHMSL fuse. A blown fuse could cause this issue.
If the vehicle tests out ok, then the issue must be on the trailer. Make sure the trailer connectors are clean and free of corrosion. The main trailer connector ground and all the grounds for the lights need to be attached to clean and corrosion free bare metal surfaces.
Lights that ground through the mounting studs can sometimes run into ground problems when there is a plastic license plate bracket between the light and the trailer. Switching to a metal bracket, like # LP15SB, would solve this issue. Or you could run a jumper ground wire from the stud (between the light and plastic bracket) to the trailer frame.
If the trailer has an aluminum frame, a tilt bed, or folding tongue then it will help to run jumper grounds from the lights to the main trailer connector ground.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- License Plates and Frames
- Mounting Hardware
more information >
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Article: Troubleshooting 4 and 5-Way Wiring Installations
- Video: Review of Hopkins Wiring - Trailer Connectors - HM48847
- Shop: Hopkins Tail Light Converter - LED Compatible
- Shop: Hopkins Tail Light Converter with 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector
- Q&A: Trailer Lights Left Side Turn Signal and Brake Lights Not Working
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Right Side Turn Signal Not Working On Trailer
- Search Results: trailer bearings races seals caps
- Q&A: Only One Trailer Brake Light Does Not Work, All Other Trailer Lights Work
- Q&A: Working Running Lights, But No Turn Signals or Brake Lights On Trailer
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Magnetic Light Kit for Blinkers Not Working Correctly
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Shop: 7- and 4-Pole Trailer Connector Socket w/ Mounting Bracket - Vehicle End
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Video: Choosing the Right Trailer Wiring
- Search Results: trailer brake controller
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a 4-Way and 7-Way Trailer Connector
- Shop: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Video: Choosing the Right Brake Controller
- Search Results: trailer hitch
- Shop: etrailer Hitch Pin Alignment Collar for Hitch Accessories - 2" Hitches
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Search Results: hitch
- Shop: Suspension Enhancement
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Shop: Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional
- Search Results: brake controller