Installing a Box on a 2012 Toyota Sequoia to Support a Roof Top Tent
can you remove the factory rails and install a box that would take the weight of a roof top tent on a 2012 sequoia?
asked by: Charlie
If you are wanting to remove the factory side rails that run front to back on your 2012 Toyota Sequoia, I do not recommend doing so. These rails were meant to be permanently installed on your vehicle and should not be removed. These rails are bolted and sealed to the roof and water could leak into the vehicle if they are removed and other damage could occur such as denting and scratching on the roof.
If you are wanting to remove the crossbars that run from side to side and attach to the side rails, you will not have to remove those crossbars to install an aftermarket roof rack. An aftermarket roof rack like the Thule SquareBar Roof Rack, # TH712400 and # TH710401 will mount to the factory side rails and sit above the factory crossbars so they will not interfere.
If you are wanting to install an aftermarket roof rack to support a roof top tent, it is important that you find the weight capacity of your vehicles roof. An aftermarket roof rack like the Thule Crossroads roof rack has a weight capacity of 165 lbs. This is the highest weight capacity that is offered for an aftermarket roof rack. Even though the weight capacity of the roof rack is 165 lbs, you will still be limited to the roof weight capacity of the Sequoia if it is lower than 165 lbs. You can find the weight capacity of your roof in your owners manual or by contacting a Toyota dealer with your VIN.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Roof Rack
- Square Bars
- 53 Inch Bar Space
- 2 Bars
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Thule EVO Raised Rail Or Thule Rapid Crossroad Feet For My 2018 Nissan Armada
- Will 53 Inch Thule Evo Crossbars Fit a 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness?
- Recommended Thule Crossbars and Feet Kit for a 2024 Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness
- Recommended Roof Rack that Fits a 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness w/ Factory Rails
- 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen Easy to Install Roof Rack Recommendation
- Recommended Crossbars for a 2023 Subaru Forester Touring
- Recommended Raised Side Rails and Crossbars for 2012 Honda Odyssey
- Can Thule AeroBlade Crossbars From 2015 VW Passat Fit a 2022 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Adding Thule SquareBar Evos to a 2018 Toyota RAV4
- Does the Thule Evo Roof Rack for 2013 Toyota 4Runner Require Locks be Added
- Will Thule Complete Crossroad Kit Fit Factory Roof Rack On 2013 Ford Explorer
- Will The Thule Complete Crossroad Kit Fit My 2008 Jeep Factory Rails
- Roof Rack For 2016 Nissan Rogue With Raised Side Rails For Three Kayaks
- Roof Rack, Canoe and Kayak Carrier Recommendation for 2015 Chevy Traverse w/ Factory Roof Side Rails
- Will Thule Evo Raised Rail Feet Fit 2008 Saturn Vue and 2004 Honda Odyssey with Factory Rails
- Thule Roof Rack For 2020 Honda Odyssey with Factory Rails
- Roof Rack Recommendation for 2001 Nissan Xterra for Sportrack Vista Basket
- Will the Thule Sport 15-CAV Fit A 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee With Factory Installed Roof Bars
- Will The Thule Evo Raised Rail Feet Fit The Factory Raised Rails On 2012 Nissan Pathfinder?
- Recommended Roof Rack For 2018 Honda Odyssey with Raised Rails
- What Length of Load Bars Do I Need for a Roof Rack on my 2009 Outback Wagon
- Roof Mounted Tandem Bike Rack Recommendation for a 2012 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Square or Aero Crossbars for Thule Roof Rack on 2020 Hyundai Venue with Raised Side Rails
- Recommended Crossbars and Kayak Carrying Solution for 2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon
- Recommended Roof Rack For A 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness With Factory Rails
- Will Thule AeroBlade Crossbars Fit on Thule Evo Feet For Raised Rails
- Can you Use Older Thule Square Bars with a 2011 Ford Explorer
- Roof Rack Recommendation for Thule Mountaineer to Fit 2016 Toyota RAV4 with Raised Rails
- Which Thule Roof Rack Fits 2016 Subaru Outback Wagon
- Do Inno Crossbars Work With Thule Evo Raised Rail Feet