bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What Parts Do I Need To Install Some 120 Volt Outlets Inside My Tack Room On My Horse Trailer?


I would like to add a few outlets to my 2016 3 horse trailer tack room so I can sleep in it when camping. I was thinking I would need 4 outlets at the most. I use a CPAP at night and would charge my phone also at night. I don’t think I really need batteries, just the ability to use the outlets if I’m camping and hooked to shore power. I plan to use a cooler instead of fridge. I’ll be using battery powered LED lights. May possibly use a hairdryer at times or a small microwave. What all do I need? Thank you!


Expert Reply:

Since you are only looking to use a very low amount of power I recommend using residential components.

To get power into your 2016 3 horse trailer tack room I recommend using a Mighty Cord RV Power Inlet # A10-30INVP. To that you can use the Mighty Cord RV Power Cord Adapter # A10-1530D90VP to drop down to a 15 amp cord so that you do not need to all the power required for a large 30 amp cord. This will make it easier to use a Mighty Cord Indoor/Outdoor Extension Cord # A10-10014E for connecting to power. You are far more likely to find the standard 15 amp plugs depending on the site you are at.

For the internal components these are going to be residential parts. If you want to ensure that your trailer is protected you can install a small breaker box with the power inlet to allow you to switch off the power to different outlets inside your trailer. Otherwise the outlet itself should be on its own circuit breaker. The receptacles, boxes and 120 volt wiring can be acquired from your local hardware store. Be sure to either use wire conduit or wire mold to protect the wiring from damage if your walls do not have any wiring chases for it to pass though.

expert reply by:
Gregory M

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>