Will a 2-1/2" Trailer Hitch Even Handle the 36K Capacity of Brophy Pintle Hook for 2-1/2" Hitches
Hi. I need a pintle for 30k trailer weight, close to 3000lb tongue weight. I understand this pintle is fine, but with even my 2017 f350 3inch receiver, the max trailer weight for that receiver is 21k, so how could this pintle be even legal?
asked by: Mark P
The Brophy Pintle Hook for 2-1/2" Hitches part # BR27FR is designed for a 2-1/2" trailer hitch and maintains a 36,000 lb weight capacity when used correctly. That said, the actual weight capacity of the trailer hitch/vehicle can and usually is lower. In a towing setup, you're always limited by the weakest rated component so in this case your limiting factor would be the trailer hitch/vehicle therefore that is the figure you will need to abide by.
This is the case for nearly ever hitch mounted accessory like ball mounts and pintle hooks, the hitch is also rated higher than the vehicle can tow in most cases as well so be sure to check your owner's manual for the vehicle's towing capacity.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Does Pin of Brophy Pintle Hook Allow for Locking in Open Position
- Dimensions of Brophy Pintle Hook For 2-1/2" Hitches
- Quality of Brophy Pintle Hook for 2-1/2 Inch Hitches
- Can Brophy Pintle Hook # BR27FR Fit 3 inch Lunette Ring
- What Size Lunette Ring Works With the Brophy Pintle Hook BR27FR
- Where Is The Brophy Pintle Hook # BR27FR Produced?
- Recommended 25,000 Pound Trailer Hitch Receiver for 2016 Ford F-550 Cab and Chassis
- Pintle Hitches to Fit with a 3" Diameter Curt Lunette Ring