How To Install The Universal Installation Kit # ETBC7 On A 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Please advise, or make a video. Need to know where to mount circuit breakers in engine bay, how to route cables into the cab, and how to tap into the brake signal. I know the Grand Cherokee L has the battery underneath the drivers seat, and a fuse box underneath the passenger seat, so this might complicate things. Thanks.
asked by: Levi
Before installing the Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires # ETBC7 you will need to have a 4-pole wiring harness already installed. If you do not then I recommend the Curt Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector # C27BR. This custom-fit T-One connector plugs into your vehicle's wiring harness, which is located behind the driver's-side and passenger's-side tail lights.
You will have to remove the tail light assemblies to access this harness. Once you've plugged in the T-connector, run the hot lead up to your car battery. Connect the lead to the included fuse holder, and then connect the fuse holder to the positive terminal on your battery and insert the provided fuse. I've attached a video where David will walk you through installing this on your 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
Since the battery of your 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L is located in the cab under the driver's seat you may have a grommet underneath your vehicle near either the driver or passenger seat and not need to access the engine bay at all to install the Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires # ETBC7. If you do not then you would have to run the wiring under the vehicle to the engine bay and then through the grommet on your firewall. and then can either run it against the trim panel on the floor or pull it up and route it through until you get to the battery. To secure the wiring under the vehicle you can simply use some zip-ties to attach it to the frame or any other wiring harnesses.
The circuit breaker between your 7-way and positive battery terminal can be placed anywhere in the cab that you have room that is out of the way so that it doesn't accidentally get kicked or messed with when entering or exiting the vehicle.
The black wire is going to run to your circuit breaker and then to your battery.
The blue wire is going to connect to the output wire for your brake controller.
The white wire is going to need to be connected to the frame of your vehicle for a ground.
The yellow wire is going to connect to your reverse light circuit. You can tape this one off and not use it.
You'll also connect the 4-pole flat connector from the # ETBC7 to the 4-pole flat connector of the # C27BR.
I've attached a video for this process as well where Connor will walk you through the installation of this item.
Additionally, for your vehicle the brake light switch wire is not usable so you won't be able to find the cold side of the brake light and will need to install the Roadmaster Universal Stop Light Switch Kit # RM-751000. The attached video will walk you through installing this kit as well.
(click to enlarge)
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- No Converter
- Custom Fit
- 4 Flat
more information >
- Tow Bar Braking Systems
- Stop Light Switch
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Shop: T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Shop: Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Shop: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires
- Video: Tekonsha T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Shop: Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Shop: Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class IV - 2"
- Video: Review of Tekonsha Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Trailer Hitch Wiring - TK39VR
- Video: Curt Ball Mount Towing Starter Kit Review
- Video: Choosing the Right Trailer Wiring
- Video: Curt Class III Trailer Hitch Installation - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Video: Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Video: Tekonsha T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver For 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Shop: Curt Trailer Connector Adapter - 4-Way to 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat
- Shop: Mounting Bracket 4-Pole Flat
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch Receiver Fit For 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Q&A: Recommended Hitch And Wiring For A 2021 Grand Cherokee L Hitch
- Q&A: Does Curt Trailer Hitch Install Behind Rear Bumper Hitch Cover on 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch that Fits 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Q&A: Difference Between Curt and Tekonsha Trailer Wiring that Fits 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
- Q&A: Wiring Kit for 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L with Trailer Tow Prep Group
- Search Results: butt connectors
- Search Results: 5 pole 6 pole or 7 pole adapters
- Search Results: tk96vr
- Shop: Vehicle Tow Bar Brake System
- Shop: Base Plate for Tow Bar