bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

What Parts do I Need to Convert My Tandem Axle Boat Trailer to Electric Over Hydraulic Brakes?  


I’d like to convert my tandem axle boat trailer with hydraulic surge drum brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes. What information do you need to help me the right equipment?


Expert Reply:

For converting your tandem-axle boat trailer with hydraulic surge drum brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes, you need an actuator, a brakeaway kit, brake controller, and disc brake assembly. For the actuator, the one that is compatible with your setup is the HydraStar Marine Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator w/ Breakaway and 7-Way RV Harness # HS381-9067. This actuator comes with a proportional pressure valve that ensures that your braking is smooth and effective. The kit includes a brakeaway kit as well.

For the brake kit assembly, we have a few options depending on your axle weight capacity. For example, if you have 3,500 pound axles with a 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern, the part you need is the Kodiak Disc Brake Kit - 10" Rotor - 5 on 4-1/2 - Dacromet # K2R35D. To confirm if this works, I recommend confirming that you have the # L44649 outer bearing and the # L68149 inner bearing. If you find that you have different bearings, feel free to respond with your bearing numbers. The compatible brake lines you need for this setup is the Kodiak Hydraulic Brake Line Kit - Tandem Axle - 15' # 15TA-BLKIT. I went ahead and attached our product page of all our available disc brake setups and brake lines.

For a great break controller, I recommend the Curt Echo # C51180. The Echo comes with a super easy installation/setup process and allows you to controller the settings of the brake controller from the ease of your smart device. It is important to make sure that your particular vehicle is compatible with this controller by inputting the year/make/model of your vehicle in our fit guide.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>