bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Wiring a Camper with Combined Brake and Turn Signals to a 2003 Chevy Silverado


The camper wants the turn sigs and stop lights tied together, truck does not like this.


Helpful Expert Reply:

Trailers and campers typically have what is called a 2 wire system: the brake lights and turn signals on each side are combined. Even though many vehicles have turn signals that are separate from the brake lights, the tow package wiring on the vehicles is already converted.

If you are trying to tap into the vehicle wires and not a trailer connector then that would be what the problem is. You would need to use a converter, # RM-732, to take the separate turn signals from the truck and combine them to combined signals used by the camper.

I also recommend using 2 of the single function diodes, # RM-690, on the output side of the converter to avoid bleed over between the lights.

helpful expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>