bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended 50 Amp Transfer Switch To Accommodate Shore Power, Generator Power, And Inverter Power


I am looking for a 50 amp transfer switch for my Class A motor home to accommodate shore power, generator and inverter from my solar power.


Helpful Expert Reply:

A transfer switch is only going to have two receptacles to accept power from so you wouldn't be able to connect all of your systems together, but I do have a solution for you. You would need to use a 50 amp transfer switch like the Progressive Dynamics Transfer Switch # PD52 and connect it to your shore power and generator power to the trailer, giving you an automatic switch over between the two sources, as you can see in the attached video below.

With that installed you can then wire in an inverter with an internal transfer switch like the Progressive Dynamics Pure Sine Wave Inverter w/ Transfer Switch # PD64FR. This will require a subpanel and all circuit breakers you want powered by the inverter to be moved to the subpanel. When connected to shore power or generator power the inverter will automatically switch off and AC power will simply pass through the inverter to power the subpanel.

As for the solar power, your solar system should have a solar charge controller, which the panels will run to and then run to your battery bank to recharge it. This system will be separate from your other electrical components.

helpful expert reply by:
Kevin C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>