Troubleshooting Low Voltage Issues With Blue Ox Patriot Supplemental Braking System
I have have my unit for 3 years and love it. We were are a trip with steep hills and s. Patriot 2 failed and the best things i can think of is a low voltage issue. I have check the voltage on the motor home and the Spark and both reading for the battery alternator and starter were excellent. I called Blue ox and they suggested that i need to add an addtional power supply to the Spark but they had know real answer on what to use. So what do i need to purchase from E Trailer. Or do you have other recommendations.
asked by: Larry W
I am glad you reached out to us, let me help you troubleshoot this issue and get you back on the road safely.
I recommend checking that the patriot 2 is actually getting enough power. It needs at least 13.1 volts to operate proper. I recommend getting an outlet kit so you can wire it directly to the battery so you know its drawing the right power.
**12 Volt Outlet Kit, 20 amps # RM-9332.
*Blue Ox Patriot Radio Frequency, Portable Braking System - Proportional # BLU37TR.
If this does not work you may indeed have a bad unit and will need it replaced. If so I have linked the newest Patriot above, to replace it.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Tow Bar Braking Systems
- Brake Systems
- Proportional System
- Recurring Set-Up
- Portable System
- Not Power Assist Brake Compatible
- Air Brakes
- Air Over Hydraulic Brakes
- Hydraulic Brakes
- Blue Ox
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Low Battery Error of Blue Ox Patriot 2 Supplemental Braking System
- Q&A: Lug Nut Torque Chart for Trailer Wheels
- Search Results: 1046130
- Shop: Torque Limiting Extensions - Color Coded - 5 Pieces
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2020 Jeep Wrangler
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007-2018 JK Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Must-Have Flat Towing Components
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: How to Choose a High-Low Adapter
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A 12v Outlet That's Melting When Charging An Igloo Iceless Cooler
- Q&A: Choosing Between the Brake Buddy Select 3 and the Blue Ox Patriot Supplemental Braking System
- Article: Roadmaster Vehicle Specific Base Plates
- Q&A: 12V Cigarette Lighter Kit Recommendation for a 2024 GMC Sierra 2500
- Q&A: How to Power Blue Ox Patriot When Vehicle Has to Have Battery Disconnected
- Q&A: What Is The Max AMP Draw Of The Blue Ox Patriot Supplemental Braking System
- Article: Best Vehicles to Flat Tow Behind an RV