Recommended Axle Set-Up to Get More Trailer Clearance for Boondocking
My 1998 17 Casita has a square axle that is welded in place, firmly to the frame. I want to replace the axle to get more clearance for boon-docking. But dont really want to weld the axle on. What other options are there? Id like leaf springs with shocks. Got any suggestions?
asked by: Ted N
Helpful Expert Reply:
I do have a couple routes that you can go. The route that I would recommend is to use the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System # ASR3500S06. This can bolt or weld onto your frame, so you can avoid welding like you are wanting, it also provides you with a 4" lift to get more clearance and is designed for off-roading, which leaf springs are not. You also would not need shocks because the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System # ASR3500S06 have AEON progressive-rate main springs that absorb road shock and support the trailer's load.
Your other option would be to go the route you were originally looking at, but that will involve welding and will not be as suited for your application. If you would like to go that route, I would need you to provide your frame width (center of frame to center of frame) and your Hub face measurement. Then we can piece together what you would need.
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - Standard Duty - 4" Lift - 4 Bolt Flange - 3,500 lbs
- Q&A: How Many Grommets Come with Replacement Trivet Support Bumper for Furrion Cooktop
- Q&A: Does Weld-On Barrel Hinge MA29ZR Have Weight Capacity? Thanks
- Q&A: Help Determining Wire Colors of Trailer Wiring for Installing New 7-Way
- Q&A: Why is There a Wire Color Differnce Between 7 Way Traditional vs RV Standard
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel
- Article: Overview of Lubricating Grease
- Q&A: 2020 Aliner Expedition Suspension Upgrade for Dexter 3,500 lb Torsion Axle
- Q&A: Recommended Tire Pressure for a Tire Size 20.5 x 8 - 10
- Article: Trailer Tire Sizing
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Q&A: Recommended Timbren 3,500 Axle-Less System with 4 Inch Lift Spindle for Lance Trailer
- Article: How to Measure a Trailer Axle
- Article: Where to Position the Trailer Axle?
- Article: How to Raise Your Travel Trailer Height