bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Solution For Surge Protection On A 50 Amp RV Power Cord Using A 30 Amp Campsite Service


Hello. I’m looking to purchase a portable power surge protector for my 50 amp rv. There r times that I may need to hook to an rv parks 30 amp system. Do I need two surge protectors or will one 50 amp work?


Expert Reply:

For a 50 amp surge protector you can use the Portable Power Watchdog Surge Protector with Bluetooth and Emergency Shut Down # HU87FR.

This surge protector will help prevent damage to your RV from power spikes, and sustained high or low voltage. This product also has an emergency power off, which will cut the connection in the event of an error to protect electronics and appliances.

To be able to plug into a 30 amp service, but still have surge protection, you're going to need to use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter like the Mighty Cord RV Power Cord Adapter # A10-3050FBK.

However, you will be limited to 30 amps of protection with use of the dog-bone adapter. Meaning, if some of your appliances are rated for 30 amps, and something happened to cause them to draw more power, the surge protector would not do its job, and could result damage to those items.

expert reply by:
Bryce D

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>