bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Equipment Needed to Flat Tow 2018 Ford F150 Behind Motorhome  


Do have a complete package for towing my f150 behind my E450 class C motorhome breaks. Electric, tow bar and anything else I might need I like the night Hawk tow bar


Expert Reply:

I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

The Roadmaster # RM-676 Nighthawk All-Terrain tow bar would be an excellent choice. The tow bar also includes the safety cables and wiring umbilical. For base plates, I'd recommend the # RM-524431-5 direct-connect plates. Direct connect base plates make for easier hookup/disconnect and a cleaner-looking installation.

To wire your F-150, I'd recommend the Roadmaster # RM-154 diode kit. You'll also need a # RM-156-25 charge line kit to keep the battery topped of while you're towing.

The best supplemental braking kit for you will depend on how long you're planning on keeping the vehicle. If you typically keep a vehicle for 3 years then trade it in, a portable system that you can move from vehicle to vehicle as needed would make more sense than something installed permanently. For a portable system, I'd recommend the Brake Buddy 3, part # HM39524.

If you're more prone to keep your vehicle for a long time, you might find a permanently installed braking system to be more convenient. For motorhomes with hydraulic brakes, I'd recommend the Demco Stay in Ply DUO, part # SM99251. For motorhomes with air brakes, use the Demco Air Force One, part # SM99243.

For either the portable or the permanently mounted system, you'll also need a brake light relay, part # RM-88400.

Finally, if the installed height of your base plates have a greater than 3 inch height difference compared to the hitch height of the motorhome, you'll need a high/low adapter. I'll link to a help article that explains how to measure to determine which adapter you'll need, as well as to a listing of the adapters we offer.

I've also linked to a bunch of install videos that you'll find helpful.

expert reply by:
Mike L

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>