bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Do I need Metal Valve Stems for Flow Through Tire Sensors?  


I am planning to purchase the TST tire pressure monitoring system. From what I am reading, the flow thru must have metal valves and the caps do not have to have the metal valves. I have to put 2 extensions on all the wheels. Currently, the stems are some kind of braided material, not metal but once I place the metal extensions on the stem does that meet the requirement for the flow-thru or does the entire valve stem to the tire have to have the metal? A quick response would be greatly appreciated


Expert Reply:

To use the TST TPMS 4 Flow Through Tire Sensors item # TST-507-FT-4 or 6 Flow Through Sensors item # TST-507-FT-6-C you will need to swap out your rubber valve stems with valve stems that are steel, chrome or nickel. You can use the Americana Metal, Bolt-In Valve Stem item # AM20906 which fits either of the standard hole sizes of 0.453" or 0.625" and is made of chrome-plated brass. You won't be able to use just the metal extensions, like item # WM80292 you were looking at, with these tire sensors you will need to change to your valve stems.

expert reply by:
Jerred H

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>