bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Replacement Coupler for Trailer with Surge Brakes to go to Electric Brakes


Hello, I am wanting to convert my hydraulic breaks to electric. I have a break controller on my truck and just think it would be nice to be able to get instant breaking as apposed to the tongue requiring the depress. The boat weighs roughly 4000-6000 pounds depending on fuel, gear, etc.. It is a two axel trailer I am not sure of the axel weight or how to find this exactly as I did not buy the trailer it came with the boat and the tongue leaver is built in and not removable. The master cylinder for the hydraulic breaks is the only part removable. How would I go about removing said function of the trailer if no longer needed? How much stopping weight is required from the drum breaks that I purchase? Are the electric drum breaks made to be submerged on a boat ramp? Thanks for all of your help.


Expert Reply:

You can replace the actuator coupler with a standard coupler like the # DM13689-52 which would replace all of the moving parts of your current actuator. As long as you match the braking capacity of your axles with the correct brake assemblies you'd have more than enough braking power. Electric brakes actually do really well submerged in water when used on a boat trailer.

I linked a help article on adding electric brakes to a trailer for you to check out as well.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>