bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can You Use 30-Amp Surge Protector on 50-Amp RV


Im going from a 30 amp travel trailer to a 50amp 5th wheel and would like to keep my 30amp surge protector would this adapter provide the necessary amperage conversion? Is there electronics in the adapter to do the conversion? I know i will not be able to use both AC units at the same time, but rarely use AC anyhow, Down the road i can purchase a 50amp surge protector. Thanks for your advice Power Grip RV Power Cord Adapter w/ Handles - 125V - 50 Amp Female to 30 Amp Male - CAM55185


Expert Reply:

It is best to match any surge protector to the service of the RV. Such as the 30 Amp Power Watchdog Surge Protector, # HU97FR or the 50 Amp version of, # HU47FR being used with RV's that match their respectively rated services.

You can use an adapter such as the Mighty Cord RV Power Cord Adapter, # A10-3050D90VP to adapt your RV's 4-prong 50-amp power inlet for use with a 30-amp 3-prong extension cord/Power Pedestal and place the surge protector inline. While yes, this can be made to work, you not be able to get the full power to RV that it is capable of and this will limit your available watts of power.

Your best solution is to upgrade to the Power Watchdog Surge Protector 50 Amp, # HU47FR.

expert reply by:
Michael R

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>